Monday 22 July 2013

Graduation Dress

This dress has been sitting in my wardrobe for a long time for a certain special occasion.

I think it must been about 2 months ago I made this, but I finally wore it a few days ago at my graduation from University.



The pattern is Simplicity 2884 and I loved it! It was nice and easy to put together, way easier than I expected, and I was surprised how flattering it was too. I was worried it wouldn't fit properly around the bust, but with a few alterations to the gathers on the bodice, it fit really well!



I did make a muslin first, and I was very glad I did. (I'm normally too impatient and always skip this step) It meant that my final dress came together in hours and I could learn from my shoddy mistakes. I do really like the practice muslin though, I made it out of an old blue gingham duvet I found in a charity shop for £2. I need to take some pictures of it at some point, its nice and summery.

The fabric is a lovely green heavy-ish, floral cotton that I brought from Honeysuckle At Home from a craft fair. I had no idea at the time if it would be enough to make this image I had of a 50's style halter dress...........

 
Who can compete with this!
 
Haha, can't say I looked anything like this on my graduation day, sure it would have livened the place up a bit though.
 
 
 
Overall I loved this dress. It was really comfy (besides the bit of boning I didn't encase properly so it stuck in my back a bit) And I cant wait to wear it again, definitely without the furry robes though!
 

 
It was a scorchio day, and the fabric was very warm but looked nice anyway so ah well! I would recommend the pattern to anyone, it was very straight forward, but I missed out the lining as the fabric was substantial enough not to need one.
 
I think I'm going to use the bodice and waistband bit of the dress pattern to make a halter-neck top in the future. hopefully it will come together before all the hot weather goes and I have to go back to jumpers.
 
So here are some more photos of me with my Mom, Dad, Milo and Nan, (in case any of them felt left out)
 
 
 
 
  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment